Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Reflections ......

the brotherhood of man

Homeless
His sign read: "HOMELESS SOBER NEED WORK OR FOOD."

As I sat idle in my car at the red light reading this sign, I studied this strangers presence. He was a lone man, bearded, no younger then 50, standing on the side of the route 23 highway off ramp. His only possession in this world was and old tattered black backpack, which lay on the grass under his feet. My thoughts raced as I continued to observe him. How does a fellow human began stand by and watch another man suffer like this? I felt guity as I sat in the luxury of my personal vehicle and listened to yet another new CD which I purchased just yesterday. As I pulled forward I pressed the down arrow on my window control panel, I handed him lunch, Wendy's. After watching endless cars pass by without compassion or concern I was no longer feeling hungry.

We never exchange words as I offered him the Wendy's bag, we just looked into each others eyes. I found a gentleness in his eyes, a softness to his lingering presence. I nodded, and he gave me a smile. As he walked away I remembered his eyes: I will never forget his eyes, they are still in my vision tonight as I reflect on my day today.



shamelessly copied from another blogg .... word to word .... had to .....

No comments: